What Is The Herb Block Scholarship?
The Herb Block Scholarship provides financial assistance to students of all ages to attend community colleges in the DC metro area. It helps roughly 100 students each year gain access to higher education they could not otherwise afford.
"Mr. Block saw education as a cornerstone for a better life," according to Mrs. Rickard, Executive Director Emerita of the Foundation. In his will he urged the creation of post-secondary education scholarships for those with financial need. He wanted to give a chance to students who have successfully completed high school but found the cost of college out of their reach."
How Much Is the Scholarship Worth?
The Herb Block Scholarship will provide up to $8,000 per academic year and up to $16,000 over the life of the scholarship. This covers not only tuition, but also fees, books and limited transportation and child care expenses. It is a 'last dollar' scholarship, meaning that the calculation of a student's need takes into account all other financial aid awards the student receives. It is renewable for up to five years, provided that the student continues to meet all other eligibility criteria and has not reached the monetary cap.
Am I Eligible?
Students of any age are eligible for The Herb Block Scholarship if they are a high school graduates, GED holders, or current community college students, who meet the following criteria:
- Are US citizens/nationals, Permanent Resident Aliens, have been granted DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) by the US Customs and Immigration Service, or qualify for in-state tuition under the Maryland Dream Act.
- Are a primary resident in Washington, DC, or Montgomery or Prince George’s Counties in Maryland, or the Cities of Alexandria or Falls Church, or the Counties of Arlington or Fairfax in Virginia.
- Are attending, or plan to attend, on a full time or part time basis, one of the participating community colleges, and have not yet earned more than 40 credits towards a degree.
- Can demonstrate financial need and, if eligible, apply for financial aid.
Which Community Colleges Participate?
All campuses of the following community colleges participate in The Herb Block Scholarship:
What Types of Students Receive Awards?
Scholarships are awarded to students of all races and genders based on the following criteria:
- Academic Performance - The Herb Block Scholarship seeks to recognize both students who are high achievers ('A' and 'B' students), students who may have started at a 'C' level and have shown improvement during their academic career, as well as GED holders and adult learners.
- Scholarship applicants must provide financial documentation. Applicants can submit a copy of the Student Aid Report generated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or provides copies of tax returns for review by the program administrator. If selected, scholarship recipients eligible for federal student aid must complete the financial aid application process at their college. For more information contact www.fafsa.ed.gov.
How Much Is the Scholarship Worth?
The Herb Block Scholarship is a "last dollar" scholarship valued at up to $8,000 per academic year and up to $16,000 over the life of the scholarship. This covers not only tuition, but also fees, books and limited transportation and child care expenses. It is a 'last dollar' scholarship, meaning that the calculation of a student's need takes into account all other financial aid awards the student receives. It is renewable for up to five years, provided the student continues to meet all other eligibility criteria and has not reached the monetary cap.
What Makes A Great Applicant?
The scholarship application offers students the opportunity to tell us more about themselves. We encourage students to tell us in the essays about their personalities, their stories, and their goals. Recommendations offer an opportunity for the student to enhance their application by providing details about their character and growth.
When Are Applications Due?
There are two scholarship deadlines each year. Applications for the fall semester awards are due July 7th, applications for spring semester are due November 10th. Fall semester applicants who do not receive the award are automatically re-considered for an award for the spring semester. Students who apply for the spring semester are not automatically re-considered and may re-apply for the following fall. The online application period opens on March 1st and closes on November 10th.
For More Information:
You may contact ISTS, the administrators of the program on behalf of the Foundation at (855) 670-4787 or [email protected].